We flip the script in this episode and Tim gets to be interviewed by Petra. Tim tells his story of becoming a Strength and Conditioning coach, training various teams, including Ironside, Brute Squad, and the Boracay Dragons, working towards winning the National Championship of Beach Ultimate (after losing twice), and growing MPFPT.com.
Tim Morrill, MS, CFSC
One of the premier coaches in the fields of speed & agility, strength & conditioning, health, fitness and movement, Tim Morrill is a true leader in ultimate and strength & conditioning.
After finishing his Masters in Exercise Science (UNI) and completing 3 years as a university strength coach, Tim founded Morrill Performance in 2011 as a platform to share his knowledge through writing, video, clinics, and seminars. Tim and Morrill Performance are relentless in their pursuit to developing their athletes to the fullest of their potential. As much as Morrill Performance is known for their direct results, it is equally known for maintaining excellence, passion and integrity in all of its endeavors.
As a sport performance coach, Tim has a diverse resume having worked as a Division 3 strength coach at Salisbury University (2008), a Division 1 strength coach at the University of Northern Iowa (2009 – 2010), the Men’s Health # 1 Gym in America Mike Boyle Strength & Conditioning in Boston, MA (2011-2013) and at the National Strength & Conditioning Association (2010). Since his inception of MP Tim has focused the majority of his efforts on training ultimate frisbee players and has worked with some of the best athletes and teams in the game, most notably Boston Ironside (2012-2013), Boston Brute Squad (2012, 2018) and the Boracay Dragons (2015-2017).
As an educator, Tim is the creator and frequent contributor to USA Ultimate magazines and conferences. He has presented his curriculum on the big stage at national conferences for both the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and USA Ultimate. Under his brand Morrill Performance, Tim has presented his curriculum in over 100 clinics in 22 countries. He has been involved in the performance development of the American Ultimate Disc League (AUDL) and training curriculum development at CUT Camps.
As an athlete Tim in 2018 Tim is training to compete at the USA Ultimate Beach Nationals with Humiliswag and the European Beach Ultimate Club Champions with Portugal.
Petra was a soccer coach at the high school, club, collegiate and semi-professional levels for eight years before officially turning her focus to the mental game. Since then, she has been using
research-based mental skills, resilience, leadership, and team dynamics training to help individuals and teams perform more optimally under pressure and thrive through adversity.
As a sport psychology consultant, Petra works with performers in many different disciplines including multi-sport athletes, soccer teams, Ultimate athletes and teams, parents and coaches;
U.S. Army Soldiers, Wounded Warriors, civilians, and family members; law enforcement officers, firefighters, and nurses.
A Colorado native and competitive athlete, Petra was a ski racer, golfer, collegiate and semi-pro soccer player. She found the sport of Ultimate while attending graduate school and started playing at the USAU Club level two years later. She played for Seattle Underground for three years, captaining for one year and serving as the team’s mental skills coach for one year, culminating in the team’s first appearance at Nationals in 2012. Since moving back to Colorado, Petra has played for Spikes Peak (2013-2014; mixed team out of Colorado Springs) and Colorado Small Batch (2015-2017; women’s team out of Denver).
Relevant Certifications & Affiliations:
- M.A. Kinesiology, Sport & Exercise Psychology (CSU Chico, 2009)
- Primary Instructor, U.S. Army Master Resilience Training (University of Pennsylvania, 2015)
- Member, Association for Applied Sport Psychology (2009-Present)
- Advanced National Diploma (National Soccer Coaches Association of America, 2008)
In this episode:
- Petra takes the lead interviewing Tim
- Tim shares his story as an athlete going all the way back to his High School basketball dreams.
- He talks about his journey as a coach and his philosophy that Inspiration + Education = Empowerment.
- Tim and Petra discuss training, motivation, stress, and coping skills.
Organizations and Teams mentioned:
- Salisbury University http://www.salisbury.edu/sportsperformance/
- NSCA – https://www.nsca.com/
- Northern Iowa http://unipanthers.com/staff.aspx?staff=188
- The Strength Coach Podcast – https://continuefit.com/strength-coach-podcast/
- MBSC – http://www.bodybyboyle.com/
- Ironside – https://www.facebook.com/BostonIronside/
- Brute Squad – https://www.facebook.com/BruteSquadUltimate/
- BULA – http://beachultimate.org/
- Humiliswag – https://www.facebook.com/humiliswag/
- Wildwood – http://wwbeachultimate.ultimatecentral.com/
- Boracay Dragons – https://www.facebook.com/Boracay-Dragons-Frisbee-Team-147606815307773/
- USAU – https://www.usaultimate.org/
- Seattle Riot – https://www.facebook.com/SeattleRiot/
- Seattle Underground – https://www.facebook.com/SeattleUnderground
- Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday
Connect with Petra
Petra is accepting clients – check out what she offers to athletes and teams.